Do you consider yourself a happy person? Happiness is a choice. We can be like Eeyore and wallow in our thistle patch, or we can be like Buddy the Elf and find happiness in every little thing. I've struggled with this over the past year more than ever before. And I finally realized that it was the choices I was making that were making me unhappy. I started making some small changes and have seen a BIG difference.
Today, I'm sharing the steps I'm taking to help bring more happiness into my life! The best part, lots of these steps are bringing happiness to others, too! How cool is that?
1. Be Generous. The art of giving is, well, an art. Happy people are selfless with their time and talent. They have discovered that the more you give, the more you receive. The reward received by helping others is priceless.
2. Live Simply. Living simply seems so cliché. I mean, how can we live simply and keep up with the Joneses? But keeping up with unrealistic expectations is impossible. And remember, things do not create happiness, your attitude does.
3. Be Positive. It's easy to get down and dwell in negativity. It takes discipline to focus on the positive and to stay in control of our attitude. A positive attitude will create a positive outlook.
4. Slow Down. Having the busiest schedule does not make you happy. It makes you busy. And busy leads to stress. Fill your schedule with down time. Read a book. Take a nap. Go for a walk. Visit with friends. Unplug and unwind.
5. Be Grateful. Count your blessings. Think of all the good things in your life and write them down. Shift your focus to those good things. When something difficult starts to creep in, remember that list and reset your focus on what's really important.
6. Forgive. Holding a grudge is heavy lifting. Instead of being resentful, let go of your anger. Free yourself from the negative power of failure and doubt. Believe in yourself, even when you fail. Fall down seven times and stand up eight. Learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward.
7. Speak Kindly. The words we use and the way we use them matter. We should encourage, inspire and motivate ourselves and others with our words. Before you speak, Think...Is it true? Is it helpful? Is it inspiring? Is it necessary? Is it kind?
8. Live In The Moment. Happiness is a road traveled, not a destination. So roll down the windows, feel the breeze and enjoy the ride. And remember, it's ok to stop and smell the roses.
9. Leave Your Mark. At an early age we are taught to leave things better than we find them. Your life and how you live it is your message to the world. Make sure it's inspiring and memorable.
10. Smile. It takes more energy to frown then to smile. So show off those pearly whites and let your happiness shine through.
Happiness is contagious so let's spread some happy feelings. Pay it forward and pass it on. Leave us a comment and let us know what you are going to do today to choose happiness!
Comments will be approved before showing up.